Sunday, April 28, 2013

Birth of the Punk Rock Flower Princess

I know...I know...it's been a minute since I've posted in the Projects. Life is so busy and my list of "to-do's" grows and forces other things to become "don'ts." However, soon school will be over and I will have more free time to blog, create and babble on about my daily adventures and monumental introspective moments of reflection. 

So anyway, last night, I treated my BFF to a night of creative fun at an art studio called "Unchartered Creativity." You bring your own food and drinks and learn how to create the painting of the night. I was truly excited to get into the studio and was inspired by the tons of artwork that draped the walls. Most of it was created by middle and high school students in our community. 

As I sat down in front of my canvas, I was instantly paralyzed with fear and intimidation. It tripped me out because I'm a crafter and while I'm not trained I consider myself to be an artist. You would think that I would totally be in my comfort zone. I analyzed that white space and began to think of all the negatives...what if I mess  up...what if it's ugly...what if my painting doesn't measure up...what if...what if...what if!  As the instructor walked us through each step, I began to feel a little more comfortable. However, there was still something holding me hostage preventing MY creative spirit from taking flight. I was going through the motions and the more color I slathered on the canvas, the less enthralled I became with my painting. After two hours of our three hour session, I scrapped  my painting and started over. 

I was over thinking the entire process and needed to step away and get a grip.  I began to let my thoughts go and just paint. I picked up my brush and let it glide and flick across the canvas. After 30 minutes of flicking, gliding and slathering, my painting began to take shape and the "Punk Rock Flower Princess" was born!

Through this experience I learned that art should not be limiting or limited...it should be limitless. From now on, I agree to allow myself to FREELY create without expectation (of perfection). At the end of the day, all art is perfect in its own way. 


1 comment: